The Team at Drogheda Barbican with Derek Warfield


A diagnose of early onset Alzheimer’s is rare but when it does happen the news is shocking and devastating. Because it is so rare for adults under the age of 65 to experience any kind of cognitive decline, early onset is often misdiagnosed.

 Approximately 95 percent of people with Alzheimer’s first develop symptoms at 65 or over.Of the remaining 5 percent most first have symptoms in their 50s, although in rare cases the condition develops in people in their 30s or 40s this is according to the Mayo Clinic.

In Ireland alone it’s estimated 47,893 people are living with Alzheimer’s or related dementia, and 4.400 of those have early onset AD, this number is expected to increase to 140,000 by 2041.

Disrupting Alzheimer’s as part of the charity Home Safe Home Elderly Security Chy No20431, was established by Christy Fleming after a family member was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s disease (AD) at the age of 54. The project is committed to researching developing and implementing new strategies that support independent living for those effected from Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases.

As part of an awareness campaign to highlight the disease the group had a photo shoot with legendary Wolfetones balladeer Derek Warfield who now fronts the band Derek Warfield and the young Wolfetones, the band were playing at the Barbican on Friday night last providing an evening of traditional musical entertainment to a captive audience. Derek took time from rehearsals to pose for a photo with some of the Disrupting Alzheimer’s team.

In the photo are Barbican Manager Declan Power, Catherine Traynor DA volunteer, Derek Warfield Wolfetones, and Christy Fleming all wearing the DA tea-shirts and giving the thumbs up to the proposed information and awareness seminars that the Disrupting Alzheimer’s project plan to run in the coming months at the Barbican and other venues throughout the country.

The project has enlisted speakers such as Martin Fitzgerald Chinese Herbal Medicine Practitioner and Research Development Scientist, Bernadette Bohan author of seven help books and cancer survivor along with Sr Bernadette Sweeney inspirational speaker and advocate with the Memory Lane Choir Crumlin and Tomas Ronan Holistic Therapy and Nutrition.

For further details on the Disrupting Alzheimer’s Project contact

                   Christy @ 0861045197 Catherine@ 0851659840